Engaging Work Tasks at Your Fingertips
Search through thousands of quality teaching materials that will help your students reach their learning goals.
View All or select a category.
This task card set focuses on social skills and differentiating between what may be perceived as an insult or humor. This is a VERY challenging skill for our students on the autism spectrum and this is a helpful tool in gaining understanding between comments that are intended as humor, and those that are insults and hurt someone’s feelings.
WHAT IS INCLUDED WITH THIS Social Skills Task Card ACTIVITY?
· 40 Written Scenarios with Two Picture Response Choices
· Answer Key With Suggestions for Discussion
· IEP Goals and Definition Cards for "Humor" and "Insult"
· Interchangeable Task Box Label
DOES THIS TAKE LONG TO SET UP?
· Hardly any time at all! Just PRINT on white card stock and then LAMINATE and TRIM. Now, using a dry erase marker or clothespins, your students may begin!
CAN I USE THIS FOR DIRECT ONE-ON-ONE INSTRUCTION?
· YES! This activity works best in a small group or one-on-one instruction for SLP’s, teachers, ABA therapists, counselors, and social workers.
ARE THERE ANY IEP GOALS THAT MAY ALIGN WITH THIS ACTIVITY?
Absolutely! Here are suggested IEP Goals that may be aligned with this activity:
1. Given a written scenario describing an action that has or will happen between two or more people in which a comment is directed at one or more individuals, STUDENT will determine if the statement or comment is funny (humor) or an insult (hurt feelings), in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
2. Given a written scenario read to self or aloud by an adult, STUDENT will say why the comment may be insulting (hurting a person’s feelings), or funny (humor, a comment intended to be funny but not hurtful), in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
CAN I SHARE THIS WITH MY TEAM OR CO-WORKERS?
If your teammates or co-workers would like to use this activity with their students, please encourage them to purchase additional licenses. ANY TYPE OF FILE SHARING VIOLATES OUR COPYRIGHT POLICIES AND ARE STRICTLY ENFORCED. The purchaser may print as many copies as he or she would like for their students ONLY. Your compliance is greatly appreciated.
DO YOU HAVE A SELECTION OF “Task Box Fillers” THAT I CAN CHOOSE FROM?
Yes! There are almost 100 sets available, which include, math, reading, fine motor, social skills, science, social studies and life skills!
**Please see all copyright and licensing rules included with each product.
If you EVER have ANY questions about this, or any of my products, please feel welcome to contact me at: DSinger@AutismEducators.com.
Thanks so much and enjoy!
© Copyright 2019 Autism Educators, Inc. (AutismEducators.com). All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original purchaser only. Copying for more than one teacher or classroom, or for an entire department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view, uploaded to school or district websites, distributed via email, or submitted to file sharing sites. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Intended for single classroom and personal use only. You agree not to modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, transfer, create derivate work from, sell or re-sell any content or information obtained from or through AutismEducators.com or any other selling platform where our products are listed or sold.
Follow AutismEducators.com on FACEBOOK
Follow AutismEducators.com on PINTEREST
Follow AutismEducators.com on INSTAGRAM
Autism Educators, Inc. © 2012-2024