Engaging Work Tasks at Your Fingertips
Search through thousands of quality teaching materials that will help your students reach their learning goals.
View All or select a category.
Adapted Book For Social Skills – Profanity Replacement Behavior for Autism/Special Education
Do you have a child in your class who blurts out profanity? Does he or she use it as a stim, during times of stress, or has it become a negative behavior? This was given to a friend to try with her student and the results have been remarkable!
Can you tell me how to use it so it will work for my student, too?
YES! I am going to list the steps here, but they are also included with the activity.
1. When the student enters the classroom the first thing you must do is to sit at a desk or table with the student and have him/her read the Adapted Book. The student will place each word card on the correct page.
2. The student may choose ONE of the 8 replacement words provided. This will be the word to replace the profanity.
3. The student will be given the Word Card containing 15 squares with the selected word in it. The student will read the story on top of the car, or it can be read aloud to the child by an adult.
4. The student will be told that there are 15 squares and each time he or she feels the need to say the word, it must be marked off. Initially, the child will reach 15, or more likely exceed that number. Once the child marks off the 15th word square, he or she must ONLY have it as a “thought” but neither the replacement word or curse word can be said. This step may take a couple of weeks to improve, as it requires intensive and a deep commitment on both the part of the students AND teacher.
5. The teacher may offer a reward or incentive, but again, this may take a few weeks for the student to achieve this level depending upon how severe the behavior (profanity) is.
6. There are small word cards that the assistant may keep on a ring or their lanyard to use as a visual reminder when needed, especially at the very beginning of the behavior modification process.
What comes with this behavior modification activity?
· One Adapted Book – “These Words Are Okay To Say”
· 8 Social Narrative Word Boards (each board contains one “replacement” word)
· 8 Word Cards for Assistants Key Ring or Lanyard
· Suggested IEP Goal
Can you suggest an IEP Goal that focuses on cursing at school?
YES! You may modify the goal by adding a level of prompting.
Given a choice of up to 8 words or phrases (drat, darn, snap, shucks, gosh, “Oh, man”, fudge, heck), STUDENT will begin the day by choosing one replacement word/phrase to say during during times of perceived need (stress, anger or frustration) with a decreasing number of times the replacement word is used (15/10/5), by self-monitoring progress in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
CAN I SHARE THIS WITH MY TEAM OR CO-WORKERS?
If your teammates or co-workers would like to use this activity with their students, please encourage them to purchase additional licenses. ANY TYPE OF FILE SHARING VIOLATES OUR COPYRIGHT POLICIES AND ARE STRICTLY ENFORCED. The purchaser may print as many copies as he or she would like for their students ONLY. Your compliance is greatly appreciated.
**Please see all copyright and licensing rules included with each product.
If you EVER have ANY questions about this, or any of my products, please feel welcome to contact me at: DSinger@AutismEducators.com.
Thanks so much and enjoy!
© Copyright 2019 Autism Educators, Inc. (AutismEducators.com). All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original purchaser only. Copying for more than one teacher or classroom, or for an entire department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view, uploaded to school or district websites, distributed via email, or submitted to file sharing sites. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Intended for single classroom and personal use only. You agree not to modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, transfer, create derivate work from, sell or re-sell any content or information obtained from or through AutismEducators.com or any other selling platform where our products are listed or sold.
Follow AutismEducators.com on FACEBOOK
Follow AutismEducators.com on PINTEREST
Follow AutismEducators.com on INSTAGRAM
Autism Educators, Inc. © 2012-2024