Engaging Work Tasks at Your Fingertips
Search through thousands of quality teaching materials that will help your students reach their learning goals.
View All or select a category.
Adapted Book: WHAT MOVES ON WHEELS – Special Education Resource for Reading
What’s an adapted book?
An adapted book is an interactive activity which allows students to pair new or familiar vocabulary with pictures on a variety of topics. ALL of the adapted books in this series focus on intensive practice for beginning reading skills only. Math counting skills are not included in this adapted book.
How, Where, and Why should I use adapted books in my classroom?
Adapted books offer so many benefits for our special needs students! For our children who are learning basic reading skills, they can match the pictures as the teacher or assistant reads the sentence aloud. This boosts confidence and fosters reading skills, as the real life and colorful pictures capture our students’ attention.
· Add an adapted book to your Reading Center.
· For children who have basic reading skills mastered, add an adapted book to their Independent Work Bins.
· Offer as an “extra” reading activity during morning work, or free time.
What’s included in each of the adapted book series?
· Each adapted book contains EIGHT pages with EIGHT Picture Response Cards and EIGHT Picture/Word Response Cards. I chose eight objects, people, or events that relate most closely to the adapted book topic. This purchase contains ONE adapted book. They may also be purchased as pre-made bundles (Bundle #1 and Bundle #2).
Is this sold in a bundle so I can get extra savings?
YES! This adapted book, “WHAT MOVES ON WHEELS”, is available as part of BUNDLE 1 , which contains TEN adapted books for HUGE savings!
Will you include suggested IEP Goals with the Adapted Books?
YES! As with almost all of Autism Educators activities, IEP goals ARE included! Here are a few samples:
· Given a repetitive sentence starter and a picture related to a topic, STUDENT will read to match the correct picture, or picture/word card, with 80% accuracy, in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
· Given a picture related to a topic, object, or person within a specific category, STUDENT will match the identical picture, with 80% accuracy, in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
· Given picture and an incomplete sentence, STUDENT will read the text in order to match the correct picture, or picture/word card to complete the sentence, with 80% accuracy, in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
· Given a picture and a sentence with a word missing, STUDENT will refer to the picture to determine the missing word, with 80% accuracy, in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
Can I suggest new adapted book topics?
Oh, YES, please! I love hearing from you! I’ll do my best to meet your student’s learning needs. That’s what it’s all about!
Can I share this set with other teachers or therapists?
Due to copyright laws and protection, please encourage teammates to purchase a set of their own. I try to keep costs as low as I can to make our products affordable for those in the teaching professions. I’m a teacher, too, and how limited budgets can be.
© Copyright 2018 Autism Educators, Inc. (AutismEducators.com). All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original purchaser only. Copying for more than one teacher or classroom, or for an entire department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view, uploaded to school or district websites, distributed via email, or submitted to file sharing sites. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Intended for single classroom and personal use only. You agree not to modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, transfer, create derivate work from, sell or re-sell any content or information obtained from or through AutismEducators.com or any other selling platform where our products are listed or sold.
Follow AutismEducators.com on FACEBOOK
Follow AutismEducators.com on PINTEREST
Follow AutismEducators.com on INSTAGRAM
Autism Educators, Inc. © 2012-2024